If you are more keen on the traditional desserts then you will love this trifle recipe. No holiday season is complete without a delicious retro trifle dessert! A traditional trifle contains sherry, but it’s easily omitted if you don’t want to consume the alcohol. While there is some wait time for the jelly to set, it is actually a very quick dessert to prepare.
- 10 sponge fingers
- 1 packet strawberry jelly
- 10 strawberry’s
- 1 tin of custard
- whipped cream
- 2 squares of chocolate
- 1/4 cup of sherry (optional)
- Make the jelly as per the packets instructions, if your including sherry reduce the water you use by 1/4 cup and replace with the sherry.
- Cut the sponge fingers in half and place in the bottom a medium sized glass bowl.
- Pour the jelly over the sponge fingers.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and place in the jelly. Pop in the fridge and allow to set completely.
- Pour the tin of custard over the set jelly.
- In a jug, whip the cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- You can just spread the cream over the custard; however it looks much nicer if you can pipe it using an icing bag.
As a final touch, grate the chocolate over the cream. Place in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.