These breakfast bars make a perfect grab and go breakfast when you have a busy day ahead. Make a batch at the weekend and they will last for a week in a Tupperware box. They have a great balance of protein and low GI carbohydrates as well as a nice sweetness from the honey and fruit. You can change the dried fruit to any of your choosing and you can even substitute one for the dark chocolate chips if you’re feeling decadent.
Oat and Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1.5 cups of cooked and cooled quinoa
- 2 cups of oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup of golden sultana’s
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the wet ingredients using a hand blender if you have one, if not use a whisk and mix till smooth.
- Add in all of the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is evenly mixed together.
- Take a brownie pan and line it with greaseproof/baking paper. Spoon the mixture into the pan and spread roughly evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it is a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing into bars.